2014年1月22日星期三

My English Language Learning Journey

I embarked on my discovery journey into the fancy world of English when I was in the final year during my kindergarten. I can still remember the feeling of being attracted to the magical combinations of 26 letters.
I finished my study till high school in China so I did not have an ideal environment for English learning at that time.I accepted the suggestions from others to improve my English in an effective way such as watching English videos and listening to English songs.Moreover,I applied to host some foreign exchange students for a short homestay,which inspired my strong interest in meeting new friends all around the world with interactive communication in English . 
When I came to Singapore for the first time,I had to deal with everything in daily life with English.In class ,I was taught to learn new knowledge both in science and arts subjects and solve problems in a fresh new and different way in English.More importantly,unlike some governmental supervision in China,I got the chance to get a broader view on some historical issues as well as today’s happenings. This experience was a bit challenging for me at first but made me regard English a very crucial tool in communication and studying abroad .
Learning is a life-long process. I hope I can add more flying colors towards my English learning journey in the future .



4 条评论:

  1. Hi Yuwei, thank you for sharing your experience in the learning of the English language. I can only imagine how daunting it is for you to study and live in an environment where English is the dominant language. It is therefore very heart-warming to read how much you strove to better your command of the language. I too was also given the suggestion to improve my Mandarin by watching television programs but to which, I blatantly ignored. Hence I greatly admire your perseverance.

    However with that said, I do reckon that more attention should be paid to your use (or lack thereof in some instances) of prepositions. For example in the opening line of your reflection, the preposition "on" should be added between "embarked" and "my". In the next line, it would have been better to use "being attracted to" rather than "being attracted by". Additionally within that same sentence, "among" would be better substituted for "that the" while simultaneously adding "made" to the end of the sentence.

    Another point to take heed of is that of word forms. In the third line of the second paragraph, "to host" should be used instead of "for hosting". Within the same paragraph, your use of "communication" in the last line should be changed to "communicating" while "study" should be changed to "studying".

    Nevertheless, do keep up the good work and I look forward to reading more of your entries. (:

    - -

    Cheers, Sabrina

    回复删除
  2. Thanks for your effort here, Yuwei. As Sabrina states, it is "heart-warming" to learn how you worked hard and built on your interest in the language to develop your English language skills.

    Allow me to make a few suggestions:

    1) Could you shift the blog language into English? This is an EAP course, after all.

    2) Can you work on the paragraphing and the alignment?

    Thanks for your great effort! I look forward to learning more from you this term

    回复删除
  3. Hi Yuwei, glad to be in the same group with you this semester. It impressed me when imagine a girl came to Singapore on her own and settle down in this English-speaking country.
    When reading your article I can feel your enthusiasm for learning English. However I think we share the same goal to develop the academic style of written English. I believe that the most efficient way is to read books, but I always feel reading time-consuming. The fast pace of study and activity has made me lose my patience of study. Your article reminded my of the enthusiasm for study, which is an important motivation for language learning. In addition, I would suggest that you include more analysis to discuss your difficulties and methods in depth.
    Anyway let's enjoy the English learning journey and try our very hard to improve ourselves through this module:)

    回复删除
  4. This is Yuejiao, just noticed that only my matric number displayed.

    回复删除