2014年4月17日星期四

Critical Reflection

    I have been studying in Singapore for about 2 years as an international student from China. I did not have a conducive English learning environment when I was in China so that fluent and native writing and oral skills are my major weaknesses. After the QET result came out, I had to take ES1102 in order to fulfill the prerequisite for my other English modules. During the course, we were assigned to finish three essays of different types and difficulty levels, which includes self-experience, reader response and problem evaluation.
Moreover, the tutor organized us to share our ideas in group or in front of the whole class. The essay writing process was quite meaningful and well-structured, during which we brainstormed ideas from discussions and reading materials, came up with drafts, experiences peer evaluation as well as conference consultation and finalized our essay after editing. To be honest, I am really grateful to those experiences since it did help a lot in my English skills ans provide a good chance to learn from others. I have learnt how to develop my essay and reference, being more sensitive and alert to my grammar mistakes. I am more comfortable and confident to pick up my pen and write out several hundreds words now. Regarding the tutor Brad, he is quite responsible and helpful in any questions and problems I have.

    After this course , I have found out many areas I need to improve in, such as presenting a clear idea flow and thesis in my essays, trying to search for more references to support my opinions and watching out the accuracy of words and tenses used. I will try to prepare myself better for my next English learning stage through watching more TED talks and getting more essay-writing practices. More importantly, I should be honest to my mistakes and ask for suggestions actively. In this way, my progress would be more efficient and effective.

1 条评论:

  1. Thanks very much for this comprehensive and highly critical reflection. I like the way you provide so many specific details about why your English was weak in the first place, what we have done in the course, and what your plan is for the future (Gibb's action plan).

    Your effort is to be commended,Yuwei!

    Best of luck as you continue your learning journey!

    回复删除